Janssen Pharmaceutica is part of the worldwide Janssen Pharmaceutical Group. Medicinal drugs for the benefit of patients, doctors and other health care professionals are discovered, developed and marketed on our campus. We mainly operate in the pathological areas of neurosciences, oncology, infectious diseases, and vaccines.
- The HCV burden in Romania being the highest in Europe.
- Low annual treatment rates: about 1% of the infected population is treated.
- Limited national health care budget: only 5% of the GDP.
- The budget required to treat 10% of the infected patients in Romania with the latest and most effective treatment options asking for 50% of the entire national health care budget.
In this context hict supported Janssen in het project that envisioned that Romania will lead the world with best-in-class HCV management and research by 2020 and enters a new public health care era in modern Europe
- Asking for new business models
- Changing from a single (few) stakeholder model to a multi stakeholder involvement
- Redefinition of long term visions and targets need ( public health driven based on local epidemiologic developments)
- Local involvement and specificities and local policy development
The project approach
Process steps & results
Step 1 : Vision/ road map
- Study the local epidemiology and public health practice and define a clear (mid) long term vision to obtain in a certain region on public health level.
- Support this statement with evidence.
- Create a platform to develop that vision statement.
Result: Envisioning of ”the brave new model”.
Romania will lead the world with best-in-class HCV management and research by 2020 and enter a new health care era in modern Europe.
- 80.000 HCV patients per year are treated in Romania by 2020 based on best-in-class HCV management and research.
- A new best-in-class program for HCV management developed in Romania to be enrolled all around the world: taking the same model to other countries with the same problem.
- The ambition to make Romania number 1 on the EURO hepatitis index.
Role of hict:
- Program management (organising, preparing, workshops, reporting, coordinating, communication).
- Bringing in new elements and content for the new model.
- Create platform (steering committee) and stakeholders to the program.
Step 2: Business Case & Blue print
- The objective of this step is to grow from a vision to a blueprint document via a whole process of workshops, analysis of evidence data and to define directions and draw conclusions that need to be taken.
- The idea is to do this in an innovative and creative way, with as less as possible boundaries in the thinking process.
Result: First version of the Blue print report
Role of hict: Idem ‘business case’
- Development of, and writing out the Blue print (secretary).
- Creating a consensus in the steering committee to this document.
- Perform research in the market to discover specific issues on that topics.
- Benchmark the local situation with global data.
Step 3: Coalition & Declaration
- The objective is that a multi stakeholder platform will run this program in the future.
- The coalition is the platform which will own the new model to make it operational.
- The objective is to come to a common understanding among the Coalition for a full involvement and starting point for roll out.
- This declaration is the first external communication about the program, with the support of the Coalition.
- Coalition meeting in March, but initiated in October.
- Prepare the coalition meeting with individual discussions with members, based on the blueprint.
- Realised in 2013. The Coalition embraced the Blueprint and made a public declaration to support the project.
Role of hict: Idem as mentioned before
- Consolidation of information and include/ annex it to the blueprint
- Proposal of a specific governance model customised to each situation
- Define the statement of the declaration and create consensus
- Initiate the declaration en define a communication plan
Step 4: Implementation
- Implementation of the blue print by the realisation of pre-defined projects continuously synchronised on what’s happening.
- The implementation plan may differ, based on stakeholders, financing models, subjects, etc.
Result: To be done
Role of hict:
- Organizational management support to the Coalition: logistical/ administrative/ managerial.
- Program management support by providing relevant in-field expertise for the identified future programs and specific projects.